round window

Synonym:  bull's eye window

The round window is a form of opening used in every region and era. Long ago, round windows featured in the plastered walls of Zen architecture in Japan, but by early modern times they were mainly used in residential architecture, tea rooms, or sukiya-style buildings. In Japanese architecture, the round window is derived from ensō, the Zen circle of enlightenment brushed with a single stroke. In Western architecture, the round window is often installed in the west end of a church nave. In Britain and France, they are also called bull’s-eye-windows. The round opening installed at the top of a dome is called an oculus.

Images From Articles (3)

Texts From Articles (347)